After several months of study and consideration, the Barrington Area Library trustees unanimously voted to move forward on plans to renovate the 33-year-old library facility. The vote took place at the regularly scheduled board meeting on Monday, March 12, 2012.
On this page, we will post news about the project, progress updates, and photos of the work as it moves along.
November 20, 2013: Good news - the elevator is back in service! We thank you for your patience as we waited for the repairs and then the inspection. We now have a safe and reliable way to transport you up to the second floor and back down again.
November 12, 2013: We continue to wait for a final inspection of the elevator. We appreciate your patience, as this step of the renovation project has taken considerably longer than anticipated. Rest assured we will reopen the elevator as soon as it has passed inspection and is safe for use.
October 2013: Phase Three has begun. Many changes, some temporary, some permanent, will be coming this month. As always, if you cannot find what you need here at the library, please ask someone for assistance.
1) The Circulation desk has been moved into the atrium. You can pick up items on hold right in the atrium.
2) The Circulation staff workroom has been temporarily relocated into Meeting Room B.
3) Items that were in Meeting Room B, like children's books and DVDs, are now available for checkout near the Popular Materials Desk on the first floor.
4) New restrooms (with some temporary fixtures) are open on both the first and second floors. Additional first floor restrooms will open later in the construction process. The current first floor restrooms may seem hard to find - keep in mind the bookshelves in that area will soon be moved away, and that group of restrooms will become part of the new Youth Services department.
5) The automatic check-in sorter will be temporarily shut down beginning Monday, October 7. Please return your library materials in the new drive-up outdoor return or the return box that has been placed in the atrium (or at any of our convenient drop boxes around town).
6) We expect the new elevator to be in service the week of Monday, October 14. The new stair tower should be in place around that time as well, but we do not have a firm deadline for either the elevator or new stair tower. The old staircase will be used until the new services are available.
7) During the week of October 14, the Adult Services Reference Desk will be moving to the second floor.
8) The Popular Materials Desk will remain on the first floor at this time, so Adult Services staff can assist patrons looking for fiction books, movies, music, magazines and computer assistance.
9) Adult non-fiction books and Young Adult fiction will be moved upstairs beginning October 16. Biographies and audiobooks will remain on the first floor at this time.
10) Beginning immediately, only Barrington Area Library cardholders may reserve computers from home.
11) Beginning October 15, no small group/study rooms will be available, until construction on the new rooms is complete. The online reservation system will not take reservations after October 14.
September 26, 2013: What's coming next?
We're about to move into Phase Three of our four-part construction project - we're really making progress!
Some big changes - some permanent, some temporary - will occur during Phase Three, starting in late September/early October 2013.
The Circulation desk to be moved into the lobby atrium.
Automatic check-in sorter to be temporarily shut down - return boxes will be placed in the Circulation area.
Circulation staff work area to be temporarily moved into Meeting Room B. This means the number of materials for browsing and checkout in the Meeting Room area will be reduced. Some items that have been in the Meeting Rooms will be located to other parts of the building.
New restrooms (with some temporary fixtures) to open on the first and second floors.
Temporarily reduced number of public computers and study rooms - we will provide more details about this ASAP.
We will do our best to keep you posted on these and other renovation developments when we have up-to-date information. Thank you for your patience as we work to provide the Barrington area with a truly 21st century library. When you're visiting us, please ask for help finding what you need.
September 17, 2013: You may have noticed a lot of construction activity at the front area of the building. What's going on?
1) Construction is underway on the new stair tower. This will replace the current stairway inside the building. The architecture of the new stair tower will blend in seamlessly with the look of our atrium entranceway, while locating the staircase in a less prominent part of the building. When renovation work moves into the atrium for awhile, the front entrance will be temporarily relocated, but when renovation is complete, the library's entrance will remain where it is currently located.
2) Additional digging and work is being done on a drainage pipe.
3) Our drive-up book and movie return is open and ready for business. Enhancements to this area continue: the X-tras outdoor sculpture has been moved near the new return and the ground has been seeded. Watch for a new light post coming soon, which will make returning materials after dark much more convenient.
UPDATE: August 12, 2013: The library's new drive-up return lane is now open! You'll find it in the main parking lot - make a left turn into the aisle closest to our entranceway, then make a right into the drive-up lane. Convenient, safe and a feature you have long requested!
UPDATE: August 5, 2013: Due to renovation, our elevator will be out of service for approximately 5 weeks. We apologize for this inconvenience. The elevator will be completely repaired as part of the renovation, and demolition work on that part of the building may also prevent access at various times. If you need assistance within the building because you cannot access the second floor at this time, please don't hesitate to ask anyone on our staff.
Good news - our drive-up return lane is coming this week! You'll find this convenient drive-up service located in the northeast side of our parking lot. Drive up, drop and go.
UPDATE: July 2013: Have you noticed the work going on in our parking lot? We're excited about it - that's where our new drive-up return box will be located! No more pulling up to the front of the building and having to leave your vehicle to return items. Just drive around to the large return box and you can place your items in it from the comfort of your car or SUV. Coming soon!
UPDATE: May 17, 2013: Occasionally, construction work will take place after hours or before our normal morning opening. We just want to make you aware of that, so if you see activity in the library during unusual times, you'll know that it's okay. Our construction team has been incredibly helpful by scheduling some of the noisiest work for times when the library is closed.
NEWS: May 6, 2013 construction update - Collections now located in the first floor meeting rooms include new books and DVDs for adults, new books, DVDs, award-winning books and graphic novels for kids and teens.
The restrooms on the second floor are now out of service, as construction has started on the second floor as well as the first floor.
The Media Lab is also closed, but the Media Lab equipment can still be used in the Adult Services computer area.
NEWS - April 23, 2013: Work began this morning to move certain parts of the library's collections into the first floor public meeting rooms. This frees up space in the main part of the library so demolition and construction may begin. Many staff offices will also be moved very soon. We are scheduling as much work as possible for the early morning hours, before the library hours, to keep disruptions to a minimum. Can't find what you're looking for the library? Please just ask. We're excited about bringing you a 21st century library!
NEWS - April 16, 2013: At a special Board meeting held on Monday, April 15, at 6 PM, the library's Board of Trustees voted to award contracts to the successful bidders, approve a total project cost of $8,769,557 and authorize the project to proceed into the construction phase. Library administration will begin meeting with the project's construction management team to plan for Phase I of the construction. Construction is expected to begin later this month.
March 6, 2013: Bid Notice for Construction Items
March 1, 2013: Bid Notice For Furnishings
Questions about the bidding process should be directed to:
Shales McNutt Construction
425 Renner Drive
Elgin, IL 60123
Engberg Anderson, Inc.
320 East Buffalo Street, Suite 500
Milwaukee, WI 53202
February 20, 2013: The Library's Board of Trustees held a special meeting and voted to move forward with the bidding phase of the renovation project. Bidding will take place in March 2013, with bids to be approved at special Board meeting in April 2013 (date/time TBD). Details about the bidding process will be posted here as soon as they are finalized.