Job Title: Custodian
JOB PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Building Services Manager and Head of Operations, support the overall mission of the library by ensuring the library building is in operating order and the needs of the library customers and personnel are met.
1. Regularly monitor and maintain the library’s building structure, systems and grounds.
2. Perform custodial tasks such as cleaning and light maintenance of the library restrooms, collecting trash and recycling from receptacles, picking up litter in the building and on the library grounds, and washing windows.
3. Serve as team leader during assigned shifts.
4. Perform meeting room set up, take down, and cleaning routinely.
5. Promptly respond to urgent cleaning tasks.
6. Perform snow removal, grounds cleaning and deliveries in all weather conditions.
7. Complete custodial and maintenance projects as assigned.
8. Deliver materials and packages to appropriate staff and departments.
9. Operate building machinery and equipment utilizing safety precautions.
10. Assist and\or perform open and closing procedures of the building.
11. Respond to internal and external customer communications with appropriate business etiquette.
12. Provide assistance in evacuations, inspections and drills.
13. Ensure all policies of the Barrington Area Library are followed.
14. Serve on planning committees and outreach activities as requested.
15. Attend library meetings as requested by management.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
1. General understanding of service standards and procedures within a public building.
2. Professional written and verbal communication skills.
3. Ability to learn standard building systems, software, equipment and tools.
4. Ability to write and answer email, create documents, and navigate Internet websites.
Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Ability to execute good judgment, while following procedures, in support of the library policies.
2. Working knowledge of various library communications systems.
3. Ability to follow instructions and respond to management direction.
4. Ability to work in various conditions.
5. Ability to maintain a safe environment for public and staff.
6. Flexibility to adjust work schedules as needed.
7. Adherence to safety procedures and respond to building emergencies as needed.
8. Maintenance of valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
Education and/or Other Requirements:
1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Minimum of 1 year of custodial work experience preferred.
3. Building maintenance experience in skilled trades preferred.
4. Basic knowledge of building tools and systems preferred.
5. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
6. Valid driver’s license, and the ability to travel locally.
1. Able to see, stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear regularly to successfully perform all duties.
2. Able to reach, push, lift and carry heavy containers (up to 75 pounds) during a work shift.
3. Able to move furniture, change light bulbs, utilize manual tools, power tools, and custodial equipment, climb ladders and stairs, carry trash, and shovel snow in various weather conditions.
4. Able to tolerate exposure to nontoxic fumes, airborne particles, outdoor allergens, and cleaning chemicals.
5. Able to tolerate exposure to differing temperatures internally and externally.
6. Able to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
7. Able to perform work on a computer, laptop, iPad or other electronic device and visual acuity to read materials in 8 point font.
This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Barrington Area Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
The Barrington Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review a reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Interested? Complete and send the PDF application to email@example.com to be considered. To complete the PDF application, download it to your computer, save it with a new file name, then fill it in, saving your work as you go.